Sunday, July 25, 2004

This was such a beautiful weekend. The temperature in and around Milwaukee stayed in the low '70's with virtually no humidity. It was a nice weekend to get out of the house, and Lovely Lady Leslie and I did. Yesterday, there was a small Italian festival in Racine which is just a hop, skip and a jump to the South of Milwaukee, for those of you not in the know. I had a meatball sandwich, we shared a substandard cream puff (the cream tasted like Cool Whip; VERY disappointing) and we watched a Beatles cover band for about an hour and then came home.
Today was a lazy day. We sat out back with Sandy, our wonderful neighbor and landlord, eating homemade salsa, drinking pink lemonade and conversing. Our next door neighbor Beulah joined us for a time as well. Currently I've just finished dusting the house and am ready to address today's entry from the Writ Of Common Wisdom.
People love when I play this one. It's basically a humorous drunk driving song. When I used to play with Curtis, multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire, he didn't like this one and it clouded my judgment, but who am I to argue with the public at large?

Cop Up On The Right

                                                     
Can you buy me a drink?
                                                 
I’ve had ten already, I think
                                                                         
Are you a girl or a guy?
                                                    
Oh! So you are? What am I?

                                                  
CHORUS:                              

Too much time in the bar
                                             
Point me to the back seat of your car
                                                    
I can’t drive mine tonight
                                                 
With that cop up on the right


My shoelaces are tied
                                                     
All together, what a ride

Roll down the window and toss
                                                         
Tomorrow, I’ll call my boss

(Chorus)

                                                            
You’re goin’ 58
                                                   
Speed limit’s 35, oh great!
                                                                  
Flashin’ lights of red and blue
                                               
I suppose you’re fucked up too!

(Chorus)

 
I enjoy playing that one too. It cries out for harmony vocals in the chorus, so anyone who's around usually has to chime in. It's not often when I get a chorus that's good for a group singalong. This song is one of the few exceptions in my catalog.
The rest of my day will be spent in veg mode. I'm watching the cat clean her leg, I'm feeling a cool breeze come through my back window, and I'm thinking about what I want for dinner. All in all, an idyllic American afternoon.  May the breeze that surrounds the reader be just as comforting.

No comments: