Saturday, July 17, 2004

Not much of a Friday. I went to work, came home, barbecued some steaks for Lovely Lady Leslie and I, and after eating them I fell asleep until about 2:40 AM. Now that I've my night's sleep, I'm up and around and chatlessly visitng all of my favorite stops.
 
Which brings us to this morning's entry from The Writ Of Common Wisdom. At the time I wrote this, I was listening to a lot of John Prine. I wish this song were funnier, but it sets the mood I was looking for correctly. I don't play this song nearly as often as I should. This is one of the better ones lyrically.
 
Back To The Wind 
  
                                             
Once had a friend of social grace 
                                     
Hat upon his head, and a smile upon his face 
                                                                
Drank all my whisky, then he disappeared 
                                                  
With his back to the wind and a belly full of cheer 
  
                                   
Met a psychic gypsy dressed up like a clown 
                                      
Painted on a smile and then we hit the town 
                                                           
Told me my future, then she left me for dead 
                                             
With her back to the wind, and a dream inside her head 
  
                                     
Came upon the postman in the driving rain 
                                 
With a can of mace and some keys upon a chain 
                                                                    
Gave me some letters, then he sped away  
 
With his back to the wind and his lights on in the day
 
  
It’s a funny road that we travel on 

One day we’re here, and the next we’re gone
 
So I’m leaving here at the toll of the bell 

With my back to the wind and just one more tale to tell
                                                               
Yea, with my back to the wind and one more tale to tell
 
 
And that's THAT entry. This one holds up well for being written almost ten years ago. A lot of these songs are older,  and some lyrics just don't age well. I like this one.
 
Among the stories of people being intimidated for their beliefs in this once-great and slowly decaying land of ours, I wish the reader a happy weekend and assure them that I refuse to decay, physically or intellectually.

No comments: