Sunday, March 07, 2004

The most heart-opening experience happened to me a few minutes ago...

As previously stated, I live in Milwaukee. The radio stations up here play unusual oldies from time to time. A few weeks ago, one of them played "One Toke Over The Line" by Brewer and Shipley. Other than that one song, I didn't believe I had ever heard any other song by them...

Fast-forward a few weeks, and I decided to use some of the bonus points I'd accumulated through one of my 5 CD club memberships, and I bought "The Best Of Brewer & Shipley". So, I listened to 6 tracks, including the wonderfully quirky "One Toke..." and the rest of the music was ok. Then I started to listen to track 7, a track called "Witchi-Tai-To".

I can only guess that this was a song I used to sing in kindergarten in 1971. Sometimes, sounds, faces and memories from the distant past hide in your mind just waiting to be rediscovered. It's so easy to let them just lay there when you get older, stuffed in a cobwebbed space of your mind, with your innocence, your optimism and all of those feelings of indestructibleness that come from youth. When I heard this song again, I could only smile. The words echoing in my head like an awakening mantra. I wanted to cry, but I was too happy to do anything else but smile, shake my head and sing along.

At this very moment in my life, I forget all of my failures. I forget all the things that have hurt me. I forget that I threw my innocence away like a lint ball on my t-shirt. In one 6-1/2 minute burst of song, I feel reborn and immortal all over again. The world has grown as big as it once was when I viewed it with the eyes of a child. I remember that I have senses that I've probably set to the side for far too long. The world has lost its tarnish and shines like a brand new dime. I truly love, and I must become a friend to all things. In the long-forgotten-now-unearthed words of Brewer & Shipley "What a spirit Spring is bringing 'round my head/makes me feel glad that I'm not dead".

I bid all readers peace. I bid all things the sweet breath of life.

No comments: