Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Autumnal Equinox is here. The season of quiet begins. The seasons of Spring and Summer are for humans; more traffic, more sounds of children playing in the sunshine. The Autumn and Winter is the time for Nature to make the noise. How I shall revel at the sounds of leaves flying down the street in the wind! The stiff winter winds will burn my ears with their speed and cold, and it will be a sweet fire. The snows will come, more silent than a whisper and touch the tip of my nose and turn to water. One would think them tears if not for the smile on my face. Let the sun worshippers hide if they must. This is MY time. I look forward to that moment when I come inside from walking in the snow and remove my shoes and socks, soaked through and through from knee-deep snow. I shall succumb to winter and in my surrender, I shall find peace. I shall become bullet-proof. The remnants of Summer will try as best as they can to hang on, with a few warm days left, but Summer is just leaving the door open as it leaves. Summer sun has no sense of the rest of the world. In the same way a child will litter a room with toys that have grown tiresome, so too does summer like to leave pieces of itself for all to see. Is it the bumper sticker on the car from the vacation spot we visitied in the past months? Is it the snapshot of frozen smiling people wearing beachware in a time when the problems of the world, if only for a moment, didn't matter? Is it a lost baseball in the bushes destined to be found by the family dog? We never truly know until we decide to look.

A cool breeze at this very moment is hitting my ankles. I don't have the heart to poison this wonderful moment with one of my songs. Let's enjoy the parting of Summer and the promise that Autumn always brings to me; human silence, natural color and the removal of my allergies.

No comments: